Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Wild Hive

The alders are in a group on the river flat below the gardens, the mighty Waikato river flows through the city of Hamilton and is edged with great river walks and gardens.
Foraging bees at one of the entrances


Last week I came across a wild bee hive high up in an Alder tree down on the river flats below the Hamilton Gardens, I was so excited to find it as there are so few wild bees in NZ now. It was up to high to reach, had 2 entrances and the bees were very busy flying in and out.

It was most probably a swarm from one of the hives here in the sustainable garden, I was told that there had been a swarm acouple of months ago. I just hope it survives the winter and doesn`t die from varroa or other diseases.

2 comments:

Beegirl0211@yahoo.com said...

This is wonderful! I've yet to see a "natural" hive of bees out and about.

sarah said...

My, what a good eye you have. I don't think we would ever find this up north here in Montana. I appreciate your photos.