Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Club Honey Show 2009

The Waikato Domestic Beekeepers Assc held their annual Honey Show at the May meeting. It was very successful with quite afew of our new members entering honey and winning prizes !!
It is judged by taste, with light, medium and dark in both the runny and creamed classes. Wax and mead were also judged and I must admit, one of the mead samples had a real kick to it !
It is a fairly laid back affair and I would like to make some changes next year, maybe get judges in from commercial honey producers - make it more interesting. The number of exhibits has grown alot over the last couple of years, I think it is time to make it more professional.
We hold our meetings in a classroom at the Horticultural campus of Wintec, which is a large learning institution in Hamilton city. It gives us lots of room to spread out, we can show DVDs and videos, plus there is a laptop and projector for power point presentations. The biggest bonus is where we are situated . . . the Hamilton Gardens - my favourite place.



Alot of the honey was quite dark in colour, probably due to the pennyroyal around in lawns here in the city during autumn. Most of our members are from the urban area, with afew out of towners on life-style blocks or close to the bush areas.

Our club is growing rapidly with many more people interested in keeping bees, I hope after the adult night class I am teaching in August we will have many more wanting to help pollinate our world . .


3 comments:

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Sounds as though it was a good event, great to hear there is growing interest in bee keeping. It's something I have on my like to do list for the future.

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?