Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Korimako (Bellbirds) in Hamilton Again . .

Precious cargo, 12 adult Korimako or native NZ bellbird being carried into Te Parapara Maori garden, Hamilton Gardens, 2 weeks ago, to be released into our city environment after an absence of 100 yrs ! The birds were mist caught on TiriTiri Matangi and other areas north of Auckland where they have flourished in predator free sancturies - I truly hope they will flourish here again.
The 2 people mostly concerned with this project, John Innes (Landcare Research, and a young chap from the University of Waikato carried the box onto the garden, welcomed by a kuia from the local iwi, Ngati Waiwere. It always sends shivers up my spine when I hear the haunting call that can either welcome or send-off a being onto a marae or sacred place by these women.
A prayer from the kuia to send them on their way, these native birds once were everywhere throughout the Waikato, but with loss of habitat and introduced predators, they survive only in 2 or 3 isolated bush areas.
aThere were alot of people including children at the Gardens to watch this historic event, it is heartening to see the number of keen conservationists gathered together and so interested. I am very proud of my city for having the foresight to replant and repopulate.
A beautiful male Korimako with his olive green plumage, the female is not quite as green. Their song is truely amazing, check out any NZ bird site and find a recording, sorry, i`m lazy and haven`t done it for you.

7 comments:

Matron said...

What a heart warming story! Good luck out there my feathered friends!

Marilyn & Jeff said...

I hope that they make their homes in the Waikato and flourish. They are such a beautiful bird. We have a block of bush north of Westport, our holiday place,and we are so fortunate as there are many korimako and they sing to us all day long.

Cally said...

I didn't realise they were rare in the Waikato - I just felt grumpy that we didn't have any, when my friends at Otonga Valley Road, and Whale Bay both get lots visiting their places! I don't feel so bad now!

Doris said...

Great story and pictures. I happen to love birds and bees!

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

How wonderful! Thanks for sharing the story.

Julie said...

I just read over both of your blogs and I love them! You live an amazing life.
I'm interested in the organic mix you talked about for the varroa in the post of wild bees. I use powdered sugar and would like to know other friendly effective ways to help the bees.
Thank you for sharing, I look forward to hearing from you. I'm also a blogger and I'm on facebook. You can reach me either place.
Thank you again!

Choi said...

Thanks for all of the information, great blog by the way. Also, check out http://www.madmediamonkey.com