Thursday, February 10, 2011

I love Trees

Isn`t she beautiful ? This old cherry tree grows in Memorial Park along side the Waikato river which runs through my city. She is literally being held together with leather straps and a post ! With giant cracks and bora holes in the stumps, this old tree still manages to put on a stunning display of blossom in the spring and a leafy canopy over summer. 
Held together with a large band and metal clip sort of thingie - this and the post is holding the tree together and from the branches hitting the ground.
It took me awhile to find this tag, but I am glad I did and very pleased to see my old tree protected - Hamilton does not have a good record when it comes to protecting trees . . . I have known of many 100yr old and older trees that have been cut down by developers, really sad as we don`t have that many old trees, they were planted by the Hamilton Beautification Society in the late 1800 early 1900`s, these are mainly exotics - lots of Elms, Oaks and other English species were grown and planted.
Even with a long crack in the branch the old tree still manages to grow new wood each year, bloom beautifully and contribute to our breathing with her leaves - trees are the earth`s lungs . .

2 comments:

Julia said...

Lovely photos and such beautiful writing.

Comfrey Cottages said...

Oh Marcia, I love this old tree. Like you, I am very glad it hasn't been cut down. Thank you for sharing those pictures. And oh yea, trees are the lungs of the earth!! xx