Thursday, April 1, 2010

Last Bee Class of the Term ..

This week was the last bee keeping class for the term, the 6th lesson I always have at my place and we check out my hives if the weather is ok. Everyone (only afew in the pic above) was intrigued with my TB hive and I`m pretty sure there will be a number of converts !! I know for sure that one couple have the plans already and will have their TB built in time for spring in Sept. Lifting the roof exposed lots of ants cleaning up a dead cockroach and a small group of bees busy propolising with shiny red something. I did smoke a small amount around the 2 entrance holes as there were people around without protective clothing on.

The first 2 bars have some propolis and a small amount of wax on them, the next one in
having a lovely comb of capped nectar - the bars are stuck together but do come apart easily.Note the different undersides on each bar, Peter experimented with some of the bars but the bees don`t mind as long as there is something to attach the wax to.

It was a warm evening so I took out another 3 bars which were joined with each one having its own seperate comb, all with the bee space between them, some with capped nectar, others to be capped. The bees were so calm, there was no frantic flying around, mind you, I didn`t have it open for that long. I find that by picking up more then one bar at a time the comb feels more stable somehow.
I have the divider just over half way along so the area is not as big and I can add more space next year all going well. I took a bar out of the empty end and the warmth could be felt even through the solid wood divider - amazing.



6 comments:

Doris said...

Thanks for sharing these pictures and info. Really interesting and although I've already got Langstorf hives for this year I am leaning towards a TB hive for next Spring.

Anonymous said...

Tena Koe! I have been following your blog for a while. Thank you for writing about your contacts with your bees in such an engaging way. Your pictures are always wonderful and really make me want to see your wonderful home land some day. Like yourself I started keeping one TBH and LOVE working with it, more than with my regular hives. Have fun with your bees and all the best to you "down under".
Marc,
Indianapolis, USA

Χάρης said...

great job!!

Marcia said...

hey Marc, you sure you are not a kiwi, thanks for using the Maori greeting, I am pakeha (european heritage), but love our native language and try and use as many Maori words as I can when appropriate. Do you have a blog ? I would really like to keep in contact with another TB lover ! Ka krexpoite ano

Doris, you have to get a TB hive, they are the only hives I will be using next year.

Anonymous said...

Tena Koe Marcia. I love the sound of the Maori language. I found the native greeting online. I don't have a blog, yet... but I may in the future. You can contact me at wiehnm on yahoo.com at any time. I am looking forward to staying in touch with you.
Marc, Indianapolis

Matron said...

I'm so glad I found your blog through Cabbage Tree Farm! I used to keep bees as a child when we had lots of room! Now I live in London and don't have the space. One day I will do it again!