Thursday, November 1, 2007

Queen Cells and a Hive A Buzzzzz

Yes there were 5 queen cells in Matai, some had hatched which would explain the 2 swarms over the previous week or so, others looking ready to . I felt bad about destroying them but I didn`t want to loose any more bees to the neighbourhood. There was no sign of disease in either of the hives, lots of bur comb and brood quite high up in the top supers. Also, quite alot of drone cells.

A queen bee ready to emerge from her cell - trying to hold it and camera made for difficulties getting the exact moment - I dropt the camera in the end - blast .

The bees where remarkably calm while all this intrusion into their home was going on. I am not the fastest or most agile when it comes to checking on frames, I do try to go slowly and quietly and not make any sudden movements, all the while telling them ( bees, that is ) how beautiful and clever they are and please don`t take offence and sting me, not too many times anyway. I did get stung once, on the knee of all places. I quickly flicked the sting out and put honey on the spot, it takes the `bite' out of the pain.
This was Miro after I had finished checking and swapping frames around - there was this huge number of bees out the front and there was no aggression or loud buzzing, it was like they thought, thank goodness for that, we have got more room. I must fix the `leaning tower of Pisa` look on this hive !
I am taking the 2 swarms captured out to a friend`s place in the countryside, I am looking forward to having rural and urban bees, it will be interesting seeing how each different situation performs. These 2 hives will be in a paddock situation but also within close range to a number of large country gardens and lots of trees.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Irisluva here Ngaio - I love your blog, and we sure share some interests - not bees though! I have visited Hamilton Gardens and written about them (I do a syndicated garden column down in the lower North Island). Was discussing a new project with Geoff Park the other day too. You have shamed me into getting into gear again! Keep an eye on the blog over the next few days...

Anonymous said...

In France there was a big study done to see which bees were healthier...city bees or country bees. The city bees won. They were healthier and had a longer life expectancy overall. They reckoned the country bees weren't as healthy because of all the pesticides used on the crops.

Ngaio said...

That is so true Juliechen, there is also something flowering alot of the time in the urban areas, especially here with no hard winters. My bees were out and about most days over the colder months !

Nan said...

I just love reading about your bees. I love the way you talk to them. We are thinking of trying to keep bees again, and coming here will help us decide.